A day or two ago I saw a movie named Julie and Julia and how Julie starts writing a cooking blog inspired by Julia and her French Cooking made easy for Americans. Since then I have been almost salivating all day,to exaggerate a little. But now what I wanted to write about is my favorite food. Being an Indian I am blessed to be born with chaat around me. We have several types of chaat, dry and wet. Some are yogurt based and others are just filled with yummy Indian spices ! So today to quench my deep desire for chaat after watching the movie, I ate Golgappe! Synonyms of the same are Panipuri,Gupchup,Puchka,Paani ke Patasshe all of which are slightly different versions of the basic sweet - sour chutney and mint water in a puri ! You can eat them from vendor to vendor mall to mall the taste will vary ! But you will always have a favorite. Personally hygiene is not my concerns when I wish to savor this dish! There is a parallel between having tasty golgappas and hygiene,they will never meet !! My father often says "how he doesn't wash his hands,touches the ground,scratches his legs and hair and feeds you with those same hands" Well, I don't care. After a point you become immune to this drug and its like a vaccination. In the few years I have seen my craving for chaat has increased tremendously. Chaat has an innate capacity to pull you to it. Summers? Oh lets get something chilly down the throat ! lets have golgappe ! Winters? Oh lets have golgappe, it will be who will beat the cold ? Lets go eat !
Having said this,I would want to tell you exactly my feeling when the "golgappe wale bhaiyya" cracks that full poori with his thumb, makes a little hole, adds the potatoes, adds he sweet sour chutney,adds the mint flavoured water aaannd serves it to you in that foil paper plate. You stare at it for one second, but sooner you realise you gotta eat it before it gets soggy and before the "golgappe wale bhaiyya" gives you your second one. So now is the moment of truth. You take the entire little piece of heaven into your mouth and crush it between your teeth. Feel the crunch,that gush of water...then the water suddenly getting a tad more thick with that delicious chutney and finally all that acidity is neutralized by the potatoes ! And THIS IS HOW YOU FINISH A GOLGAPPA.
That is the sad end my friend. But don't be disappointed , he'll give you another piece of this heavenly dish and by the time you finish it,you'll have tears in your eyes! Of joy and of sorrow that its time.
Having said this,I would want to tell you exactly my feeling when the "golgappe wale bhaiyya" cracks that full poori with his thumb, makes a little hole, adds the potatoes, adds he sweet sour chutney,adds the mint flavoured water aaannd serves it to you in that foil paper plate. You stare at it for one second, but sooner you realise you gotta eat it before it gets soggy and before the "golgappe wale bhaiyya" gives you your second one. So now is the moment of truth. You take the entire little piece of heaven into your mouth and crush it between your teeth. Feel the crunch,that gush of water...then the water suddenly getting a tad more thick with that delicious chutney and finally all that acidity is neutralized by the potatoes ! And THIS IS HOW YOU FINISH A GOLGAPPA.
That is the sad end my friend. But don't be disappointed , he'll give you another piece of this heavenly dish and by the time you finish it,you'll have tears in your eyes! Of joy and of sorrow that its time.
nice..well a true and tempting observation...lol..keep it up...cheeers with your crunchy golgappas..
ReplyDeleteHehe. Thankyou! :P
ReplyDelete